We are a New York-based community of contemporaries working as dance artists, educators and administrators.
- serve as a liaison for our demographic in the wider dance community
- provide a forum for dialogue among a diversity of perspectives in our field
- foster professional development in our constituency
- generate ideas that will serve our common goals and those of Dance/NYC
- facilitate communication among and with our peer group
- raise awareness of available resources and opportunities
- organize events that address relevant issues
- consult regularly with Dance/NYC
- strengthen and unite a community of professional artists and administrators
- serve as a catalyst for innovation and invention in our work
- re-energize our peer group in a challenging field
- help Dance/NYC better serve our demographic
The Dance/NYC Junior Committee (known formerly as the Youth Advisory Committee) was the brainchild of former Dance/NYC Executive Director Michelle Burkhart. The committee was created in the autumn of 2007 as a counterpart to Dance/NYC’s Advisory Board to advocate specifically for young professionals in dance and to serve as a liaison between Dance/NYC and its younger constituents. Initially representing New York City’s 19-to-25 demographic, in 2007 12 members were selected randomly from a pool of applicants interested in connecting more closely with Dance/NYC.
In our first year, the Junior Committee met at first quarterly—and soon, monthly—with Dance/NYC staff, shaping initiatives that would bring younger constituents to the service organization’s resources and programming. To that end, the Junior Committee first published a quarterly e-newsletter, in February of 2008, which has served over 200 subscribers.
Fiscal years 2009, 2010, and 2011 have brought a steady increase in interest in the Junior Committee. In 2010 we widened of the age bracket of members, now 21-30 years of age, to serve a broader demographic of emerging professionals and to foster exchange between members with varying levels of experience in the field. The group is comprised of performing and teaching artists, choreographers, educators and administrators.
Dance/NYC has encouraged the committee to assume internal leadership and take independent initiative while we continue to work in a close and mutually supportive partnership toward common goals. New members are welcomed annually by application.
Current and Former Members
Leeanne G-Bowley, Chair
Hollis Bartlett, Vice Chair
Kaley Pruitt, Secretary
Brighid Greene, Treasurer
Justina Gaddy, Co-Chair
Bennn Rasmussen, Co-Chair
Lori Byargeon, Vice Chair
Caroline Walthall, Secretary
Hollis Bartlett, Treasurer
Leeanne M. G-Bowley
Irfana Jetha, Chair
Marisa Ballaro, Vice Chair
Michele Wilson, Secretary
Hollis Bartlett, Treasurer
Nicole Savery, JComm Journal Online Editor
Caitlin Yuhas, JComm Journal Online Editor
Meredith B. Robbins
Julia Kelly, Chair
Eileen Farrell, Vice-Chair
Justina Gaddy, YAC Journal Online Editor
Elizabeth Jones, Chair
Michela Marino Lerman
2007-2008: the pilot year